Tuesday, April 5, 2011

From Ezra's Eyes....

The following post is from our 12 year old son, Ezra. He is sharing a unique prospective on what Eyes That See means to him. Ezra spent 10 years living in Ethiopia. If he doesn't go on to play pro soccer, he will probably kick us out of our job in a few years when he takes over Eyes That See.

If you asked me the way I look at Eyes that See, this is how I would answer. I can put myself in the kid's spot, and I would wonder what am I gonna eat TODAY, what time do I wash my uniform, and when do I do my chores. Those are very challenging things for kids my age. Here in the US most kids don't have to worry about that because their mom or dad do that for them.

Kids in Ethiopia that get help from Eyes that See are relieved from that worry because they have somebody to help them. They don't have to worry about uniform, school supplies etc...

That is the blessing that Eyes that See has been for those kids. I can't explain in words the different feeling I had. You have to be your own parent and take care of yourself. You eat by yourself, wash clothes by hand, and still keep up with school. You don't want to fail and be in that grade for a long time. You have all of that going on in your brain. It was really hard for me and I even had a grandma taking care of me.

Parents are different, and not having that was just different. When someone does that for you the kids get excited. I would have been really excited to come to Eyes that See to come and eat and stuff. When you run out of pencils at school you know you could get another. When you need a backpack or anything, someone is there. It is also a big blessing that parents who are living don't have to worry about the needs of the kids. They want to care, but they have to work extra hard for food and stuff. It is a really hard time for the parents going through so much stuff. It is usually a mom and she often will share about life with the kids. That is hard because you can't do anything about it, but you worry about it. Sometimes you have those worries that you can't do anything about and you just get stressed out. Other times you get really sad because your mom has to work a really long time and you can't help.

For some of these kids, when they find out their moms have to sell their bodies at night, well that is a hard thing to think about. It would be really sad to have your mom not be able to get a job because of lack of education. I'm glad that Eyes That See helps with the lack of education. They give education so that the mom can get a job that she doesn't have to hide from her kids.

I know it would be hard, but try to spend the next 24 hours trying to put yourself in that position. Then you can probably understand things better.

-Ezra Ness

6 comments:

  1. Hi Ezra. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences. And I will spend some time thinking about myself in that position. Take care, buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ezra,
    You have a lot of good thoughts to share. It is good to hear your prospective and I look forwarding to hearing more from you. I will spend some time thinking and praying about what it is like and how important Eyes That See is for all of the children and people who are blessed by it.
    Love to you and your family.
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was challenged and encouraged by this this morning. Thank you for your honesty! I'll live differently today with this in mind.
    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ezra :)
    I miss seeing you and your family.
    I just want you to know that what you have to say is really important! God uses your words in a deep way to help people "see" Ethiopia. I remember when I met you in Ethiopia and I could really tell that God was with you, and that he had a special plan for your life. God has been so good, and taken such care of you. Thank you for helping us understand the children! And thank you for helping us love Ethiopia in a deeper way!

    God bless you,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ezra, this was a beautiful message and I am thankful you were able to put into words exactly what your thoughts were... your words can open up the eyes of those who have never heard of life in Ethiopia and of Eyes That See. We are all blessed by what you have shared. Thank you! Love to you and your family, Janet

    ReplyDelete