Thursday, August 26, 2010

Beginnings for Nikki...

When God put adoption on my heart as juts a young girl, I had no idea the plans He had for me. I'm actually kind of glad I didn't know because I am not sure if I would have boarded that plane in May of 2007.

My first trip to Ethiopia forever changed my life. I traveled there to meet our son Durant. I will always remember those first several moments of my arrival. Leaving the airport and riding in a taxi towards my hotel, I was overwhelmed by the sights I was seeing. It's funny how now those sights have become home to me. But at the time my heart was breaking for the images before me. Hurt, dying, dirty, poor people crowded around my taxi yelling at me begging for money. I started crying with grief that I was just one person. How in the world could I make a difference? The problem is just too big. God why did you bring me here?

Little did I know as the week went on, my eyes would begin to be open to what God was trying to show me all along. He slowly reviled to me that I just needed to look at the hand in front of me, look into the eyes of the person right there. When I did this, I was amazed at what I saw. I saw Jesus in their eyes. I knew that when I left this country a huge part of it was coming with me, not just in the form of my adorable little boy, but in the fact that these people were now my family. I could not wait to get back and share with Matt what I had seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment