Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Beginnings for Matt

I've had a few people recently ask me how we got to the place where we would leave what we knew to go start working in Ethiopia.  Now I realize, it's not like we moved to Ethiopia.  We're just in Louisville, but that still feels like a world away from Eau Claire, WI.
Nikki will write her journey soon, but for me, God opened my eyes to Africa, and then Ethiopia, through books. Often books are used to teach me.  A few years ago I read a book called Country of My Skull.  It is a very difficult book as it details the violence in South Africa, but it painted a picture of a world I didn't know.  Antjie Krog tells the story of living in South Africa as the Truth and Reconciliation Commission brought closure to the apartheid that was present in South Africa.  This book is where I first got real exposure to the ministry of Archbishop Desmond Tutu and a deeper understanding of who Nelson Mandela has been in South Africa.  (Note: The book has many disturbing images that I would want you to know about if you were going to read it.  It is difficult, but very good.)
About the same time I read This Beautiful Mess by Rick McKinley.  It was as I read this book that I was certain we had a son in Ethiopia.  I don't know quite how that happened, but God made it really clear to me during this time.  Nikki was already sure of this and had been praying about it, but I was finally on board with her.
Since that time, many of you lived my journey in real time with me.  You were there as Durant came home, KVI began, our family expanded to seven, and now this new journey with Eyes That See.  Thanks for all of your support over the years.  I cannot wait to see what is next.
If you are readers, I will be recommending some books that have helped me along the way.  Now for Nikki's journey...

No comments:

Post a Comment