Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Eyes That See

I knew even then that I had read Matthew 13 dozens of times before, but this time it was different.  As I read through the prophesy of Isaiah I found myself flooded with emotion.
Matthew 13:14-15 (ESV)
  "'You will indeed hear but never understand,
   and you will indeed see but never perceive.

   For this people’s heart has grown dull,
   and with their ears they can barely hear,
   and their eyes they have closed,
lest they should see with their eyes
   and hear with their ears
and understand with their heart
   and turn, and I would heal them.'"



In that moment I badly wanted to turn to Jesus and allow Him to heal me.  Nikki and I began journeying through this verse with Valleybrook Church week after week.  God literally changed my life by inviting me to meet a homeless man within our community who became my friend.  After spending time getting to know one another, sharing lunches, meeting his friends and doing his laundry God began opening my eyes.  


I'm sitting here in a coffee shop (shocking I know!) in Louisville.  I'm fighting back crying again, but this time it is different because no one knows me and it would be very bad for my budding reputation!  Still, I want to cry because I am so grateful that God is allowing my family to see His Kingdom.  He is inviting us to hear His voice and feel the awesome comfort of Him as our Savior.  We are seeing Matthew 13:16 come true in our own lives.


"But blessed are your eyes, for they see, and your ears, for they hear."


The name "Eyes That See" came out of this verse as Nikki and our dear friend Christy Reppe spent weeks seeking God with their Bibles and hearts open.  They wrote out the vision and values that give the very backbone to this new ministry.  


As we begin describing what "Eyes That See" is about, we will spend some time this week sharing with you some of the moments God has allowed us to see that have changed the way we spend our days.  

No comments:

Post a Comment